Over 2,000 youngsters in Delhi have lost both one or both their parents to the novel coronavirus an infection, with 67 of them shedding both their parents, because the pandemic outbreak in March final 12 months, says a survey carried out by the Delhi Commission For Protection of Child Rights.
IMAGE: Children through the launch of a cell vaccination centre in New Delhi. Photograph: Atul Yadav/PTI Photo
According to the survey carried out by the Delhi Commission For Protection of Child Rights, 651 youngsters lost their moms and 1,311 youngsters lost their fathers to the an infection.
The Delhi authorities has deliberate to present a compensation of Rs 2,500 per thirty days to such youngsters.
The DCPCR had additionally launched an all-day useful helpline quantity — 9311551393 — for residents to report any such case or search any data pertaining to little one rights.
An official assertion stated the Commission has used its helpline to undertake numerous well-being surveys and identification of youngsters who have lost their parents because of COVID-19 utilizing knowledge supplied by the Delhi authorities’s well being division.
“The fee has been capable of hint greater than 2,029 youngsters who have lost both one or both their parents because of Covid. Of these, 67 youngsters are these who have lost both their parents, whereas 651 youngsters have lost their moms and 1,311 their fathers as a result of illness,” it stated.
The particulars of those youngsters have been shared with the Department of Women and Child Development for vital motion on its half and making certain enrolling eligible beneficiaries in schemes notified by the Delhi authorities for kids who have lost their parents because of Covid, the assertion stated.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had on May 14 stated his authorities would bear the price of training and upbringing of the kids orphaned through the pandemic.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had final month introduced a lot of welfare measures for such youngsters, together with making certain a corpus of Rs 10 lakh after they flip 23 years of age and offering for his or her training.
The DCPCR helpline was launched in April and has now accomplished three months of operations whereby greater than 4,500 complaints have been reported.
Of these, 2,200 have been complaints of the SOS class which wanted consideration on pressing foundation, the assertion stated. These SOS complaints consisted of youngsters/households in pressing want for important provides akin to ration, medical emergencies, circumstances of deserted youngsters, Covid testing associated necessities, amongst others, it added.
Around 85 per cent of the SOS complaints had been efficiently resolved inside 24 hours, whereas the remaining 15 per cent had been resolved inside 72 hours, the assertion stated.
Anurag Kundu, chairman, DCPCR, stated within the final three months, the helpline has enabled the fee to succeed in out to extra youngsters and their households.
“It is only a humble starting and the helpline has an extended technique to go to firmly set up itself as a helpful and dependable medium. Going by the present pattern, the Commission will obtain almost 20,000 complaints within the ongoing 12 months. This is almost 1,300 per cent of the common of the previous three years and is two-and-a-half instances the complaints the Commission has acquired in 12 years!” he stated.