What you should know
- Although the general threat of extreme sickness is low, pregnant persons are at an elevated threat for extreme sickness from COVID-19 when in comparison with non-pregnant individuals 1.
- Having sure underlying medical situations, and different elements, equivalent to age or occupation, can additional enhance a pregnant particular person’s threat for growing extreme sickness.
- Pregnant individuals with COVID-19 may also be at elevated threat for different poor outcomes, equivalent to preterm delivery (delivering the newborn sooner than 37 weeks).
- Pregnant individuals and individuals who stay with or go to them have to take steps to guard themselves from getting sick with COVID-19.
Increased Risk of Severe Illness
Severe sickness implies that an individual with COVID-19 might require:
- intensive care,
- a ventilator or particular tools to assist them breathe
People with COVID-19 who turn into severely sick might even die.
Certain Factors Can Increase Risk
Other elements can additional enhance a pregnant particular person’s threat for experiencing extreme sickness from COVID-19, equivalent to having sure underlying medical situations or being older than a sure age 2. People with an underlying medical situation ought to proceed to observe the therapy plan prescribed by their healthcare supplier.
Conditions within the locations the place pregnant individuals stay, be taught, work, play, and worship additionally have an effect on well being dangers and outcomes, equivalent to getting sick with COVID-19 or growing extreme sickness. For instance, people who find themselves pregnant and work in locations the place they can not hold their distance from individuals who could also be sick, like healthcare suppliers, are at elevated threat for getting sick and growing extreme sickness from COVID-19. Long-standing systemic well being and social inequities have put pregnant individuals from some racial and ethnic minority teams at elevated threat of getting sick from COVID-19.
Understanding extra elements that may put pregnant individuals at an elevated threat can assist them make choices about what sort of precautions to take to guard themselves from an infection.
Effect on Pregnancy Outcomes
Pregnant individuals with COVID-19 may be at elevated threat for different poor outcomes associated to being pregnant, equivalent to preterm delivery (delivering the newborn sooner than 37 weeks) 3.
See the newest knowledge on delivery and toddler outcomes amongst pregnant girls with COVID-19
Reducing your threat of getting COVID-19
It is very necessary for pregnant individuals, and people who stay or go to with them, to take steps to guard themselves from getting COVID-19.
There isn’t any method to have zero threat of an infection, so it is very important know the way to be as secure as attainable. Consider your personal private state of affairs and the danger for you, your loved ones, and your neighborhood when deciding whether or not or to not exit or work together with individuals who don’t stay with you. Ensure you and the individuals who stay with you’re taking steps to defend themselves.
The greatest methods to guard your self and to assist cut back the unfold of COVID-19 is to:
- Limit in-person interactions with individuals who may need been uncovered to or who may be contaminated with COVID-19, together with individuals inside your family, as a lot as attainable.
- Take steps to stop getting COVID-19 if you do work together with others.
- Wear a masks. Avoid others who are usually not carrying masks or ask others round you to put on a masks that absolutely covers the nostril and mouth and matches effectively to the face.
- Keep area between your self and others (keep no less than 6 toes away, which is about 2 arm lengths).
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid poorly ventilated areas.
- Wash your arms usually. If cleaning soap and water are usually not out there, use a hand sanitizer with no less than 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nostril, and mouth with unwashed arms.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or the within of your elbow. Then wash your arms.
- Clean surfaces and stuff you contact usually with cleaning soap or detergent.
- Keep no less than a 30-day provide of prescription and non-prescription medicines. Talk to a healthcare supplier, insurer, or pharmacist about getting an additional provide (for instance, greater than 30 days) of prescription medicines, if attainable, to cut back your journeys to the pharmacy.
- Consider getting a COVID-19 vaccine when its out there to you. Talk along with your healthcare supplier in case you have questions.
COVID-19 Vaccine and Pregnancy
If you might be pregnant and a part of a bunch advisable to obtain the COVID-19 vaccine, chances are you’ll select to be vaccinated. Talk to a healthcare supplier. This will assist you make an knowledgeable determination about whether or not to decide on to be vaccinated.
Even in case you have acquired the COVID-19 vaccine, it’s necessary to proceed taking steps described above to assist cease the unfold of COVID-19.
Staying wholesome throughout your being pregnant
- Keep your whole healthcare appointments throughout and after being pregnant. Visit along with your healthcare supplier for all advisable appointments. If you’re involved about going to your appointments due to COVID-19, ask your healthcare supplier what steps they’re taking to separate wholesome sufferers from those that may be sick or ask about telemedicine choices. If you need assistance discovering a healthcare supplier, contact your nearest hospital clinic, neighborhood well being middle exterior iconor well being division.
- Talk to your healthcare supplier about the way to keep wholesome and deal with your self and your child.
- Ask questions you have got about the very best place to ship your child. Delivering your child is all the time most secure beneath the care of educated healthcare professionals.
- You must also speak to your healthcare supplier if you happen to assume you might be experiencing despair throughout or after being pregnant.
- Get advisable vaccines throughout being pregnant. These vaccines can assist defend you and your child.
- Get a flu vaccine yearly. Others residing in your family must also get vaccinated to guard themselves and also you.
- Get the whooping cough (Tdap) vaccine throughout being pregnant to guard your child in opposition to whooping cough, which may have related signs to COVID-19. CDC recommends all girls obtain a Tdap vaccine throughout every being pregnant.
- Call your healthcare supplier in case you have any issues about your being pregnant or if you happen to get sick or assume that you will have COVID-19.
- Do not delay getting emergency care due to COVID-19. Emergency departments have steps in place to guard you from getting COVID-19 if you happen to want care. If you want emergency assist, name 911 instantly.
- Tell them that you’re pregnant and are having an emergency. If another person is driving to the emergency division, name if you are on the best way. If you will need to drive your self name earlier than you begin driving.
Seek medical care instantly if you happen to expertise any pressing maternal warning indicators and signs. These signs may point out a doubtlessly life-threatening complication.
If you might be sick or assume you have been uncovered to COVID-19
If you might be recognized with COVID-19, study caring for newborns when the mom has COVID-19.
Read details about breastfeeding and caring for newborns.