New Delhi: The central authorities right this moment introduced new guidelines for social media and code of ethics for OTT & digital media. According to the brand new Information Technology (Guidelines for (*3*) and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021, social media giants like Facebook and Twitter must take away or disable contentious content material inside 36 hours of being notified or of a court docket order.
These are the brand new pointers laid by the ministry for the OTT and social media platforms:
- There must be a Grievance redressal mechanism for each platform and the grievance officer must be appointed inside 24 hrs, grievance must be redressed in 15 days.
- Provision to take away the put up inside 24 hrs of a criticism by a lady
- There must be chief compliance for each platform and the officer must be a resident of India
- Each platform ought to have a nodal contact particular person for having 24/7 coordination with legislation enforcers.
- The platforms must publish a month-to-month compliance report explaining what actions had been taken and what number of complaints had been registered.
- In case of any pretend or mischievous content material being unfold on social media, the platforms must discover out the primary originator of the tweet or message and must disclose the id of the particular person after an order from Court or authorities. If the tweet originated in India them the platform must reveal the id of the one who was the primary to unfold the pretend information in India.
- The OTT platforms would self-classify the content material into 5 age-based categories- U (Universal), U/A 7+, U/A 13+, U/A 16+, and A (Adult). Platforms could be required to implement parental locks for content material labeled as U/A 13+ or greater, and dependable age verification mechanisms for content material labeled as “A”.
The current calls for OTT rules got here after controversies surrounding Tandav, Mirzapur 2, AK Vs AK, and A Suitable Boy, amongst others.
While Tandav and A Suitable Boy attracted the ire of some for allegedly hurting spiritual sentiments, the Indian Air Force was not too pleased about Anil Kapoor sporting a fallacious uniform and utilizing abusive language in AK Vs AK.
The producer of Mirzapur 2 and streaming platform Amazon Prime is going through allegations that the online collection hurts spiritual, social, and regional sentiments and damages social concord.